Saturday, February 28, 2009

So I got shit-canned.

Meh.

It happend Thursday. My spidey-senses had been tingling for a while (not exactly an amazing feat of prescience in the wretched whore shitbag of an economy we are living under, I know), so I was packed and was gathering work examples for my portfolio for a few days before the I was touched inapproriately by the Invisible Hand.

I had sent an email to the person who manages assignments, a "what the fuck, woman. Give me some work" email on Wednesday (I was pleasanter than that. I am not a barbarian, after all). I didn't hear back, and me being a genius, thought that didn't bode well. Then Thursday I received a suspicious meeting maker to "catch up" and I packed the last of my shit.

Sure enough, the HR hachet woman was milling around outside, and the creative services manager was crying.

Jesus.

As reported to me by my boss and creative services manager, It was:

-- A numbers thing
-- Nothing personal
-- heartbreaking
-- VERY hard on them

And that I was:

-- so very talented
-- and so very funny


Well, gee. Thanks. So I guess funny and talented is not part of the new vision. Interesting. Keep 'em guessing. I like that.

People have been coming out of the woodwork with leads, encouragement, contacts, ideas. I'm not worried about finding a job, but it's still insanely stressful.

Poor Paula is cranking on my portfolio like a trooper (Mary a web designer if you want a portfolio site fast). I am fretting and pacing. That's my job. Last night some friends came over and I got a little stink-eyed on red wine. That is also my job.

And truth be told, my nerd futurist side is sort of excited. I'm a few month shy of forty; I'm old enough to have some sort of appreciation of what the world has been and I'm young enough that I still have enough flexiabilty to be in the thick of the changes the world is going through. Ten years from now is not something I can imagine. That's cool.

I dunno. In the next couple of days I'll be posting my sure-to-be-awesome portfolio (Paula is the greatest of all time), and the hunt begins.

I've already picked up a little freelance assignment, basically writing gags for a series of web videos. I'm going to try to experiment with cautious optimism and realistic positivity.

In the meantime, I'm going to the plasma clinic.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, mate. I'm waiting for my number to come up soon, too. I've been told I'm safe thru the end of the year. But then I've been told that I need to start licking ass soon if I want to stay beyond Dec. (eewww! that's so not me!). But hard times call for drastic actions. I'm working my Linkedin connections fast and furious. I'm gonna punch the next person who says to me "at least you got your health and a husband who loves you". Bah!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Greg Mills said...

I'm indeed hanging in there. And funny enough, for the first time I appreciate LinkedIn, Anonymous.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Who are you, by the way?

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember Cathi Below at Lonely Planet? That's me. I didn't have many friends at LP (I think I was too ambitious for them). But you were always nice to me and made me laugh hysterically.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Greg Mills said...

Well, hell, Cathi Below! How are you? What are you doing? Where do you live?

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Oakland with my husband and little dog. We bought our first house here 6yrs ago and didn't really know what we were getting ourselves into. I spent the first two years chasing prostitutes and their car dates out of my drive way. But things are better now. Things are good generally. I work at Clorox in Finance. I'm slowly getting burned out on the corporate rat race and am considering a career change. I got married 8 yrs ago to a wonderful guy who keeps me sane and tells me when I complain too much.
I ran into Tom Downs a month or so ago. Do you remember him? I saw Hugh D'Andrade at some anti-war protest in SF a few years back. Other than that, I haven't kept in touch with LP crowd. How about you? Do you still keep in touch with Alex or Ann?

BTW: Here's my regular email address
cathib@yahoo.com

6:46 PM  
Blogger repliderium.com said...

Gregg- I've asked and Canada says they'll take you.
(We're such a giving people!)

8:16 AM  
Blogger Crackpot Press said...

Ouch... it sucks out there right now.

But now you can start pitching your novel "The Moppets"

I'm telling you it is a winner.

As Oprah says whenever you get fired, you should say "thank you."

that patronizing bitch.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Greg Mills said...

repepeldidldldium -- I'm pro-canada to an embarrassing extent. So, I am touched.

Crackpot -- Oprah should take the gas pipe. Really.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home