Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Me and the Common Man. Working things on out.

Here I am, bitching and moaning about being unable to think of anything to write about, WHEN FATE THROWS ME A DOUGHNUT!

It's out among the common people, the working man, the 9-5 schlub in the steel-toed boots -- that's where the action is!

I drove to work today, something I am normally loathe to do, but my bride has an appointment in the early evening, so I took the car that I may beat a hasty early exit, so to provide parental care to the wee ones.

Got to the parking garage, after a forty drive that scarily I remember little about (morning commute zen). Get out to shut the door, then watch in a disassociated state as I lock the door and slam it shut with the keys on the front seat.

Brain: "I am locking the door. There are the keys. Must get to the keys. Before I shut the door. SHUT THE DOOR. I MUST SHUT THE DOOR. THE KEYS! THE DOOR! I am shutting the door, there are my keys. Oh, my keys. No. No. No. Dear god. I have shut the door."

So I call the road service guys and stand for 45 minutes staring at my office from across the street in the fall air, discovering a small hole in the ass of my pants thanks to the off-shore breezes finding a snug little cul de sac in my glutteal fold.

The guy shows up: sort of a bright-eyed young chap, neatly groomed in that cheery sort of service guy way. Ahhh, the salt of the earth.

Me: "Morning"

He: "What happened? Was you thinking about some snatch and got distracted?"

Me: Silence.

(For non-North American English speakers, snatch means... well, you know what it means.)

Co-worker Dylan had the best response: "No. Thinking about hot young locksmiths, actually."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben there,done that; funny, but not so much when it`s you.


word verif:fkklky
swear to god....

11:51 PM  
Blogger Greg Mills said...

ben --

I see what you mean.

Yeah.

9:31 AM  
Blogger How I Died Today said...

once I locked my keys in my car while it was still running. how'd that happen you didn't ask? I saw a cat and was in a hurry to pet it.

btw, I didn't realize you did those hilarious Bay to Breakers ads. had I known, I might have treated you with a little more respect. doubtful, but maybe.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Greg Mills said...

"Oh, shit. Cat."

I love that.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home