Thursday, February 07, 2008

Ethnic Confusion and Fun with the Mills Kids

As I've noted elsewhere, my wife and I don't share the same pigment. She's has darker skin, being of Mexican and Mediterranean extraction, while I have a complexion closer to Moby Dick, i.e. very white.

So Ruby is cursed with my Albion shade, and Owen's relative darkness is endless fascinating to her.

The result is odd conversation like this one that transpired today in the bathroom:

Ruby: "Owen, Abraham Lincoln saved your life."

Owen: "Why?"

Ruby: "He made you free, because he made dark people not be slaves."

Owen: "I'm not a slave, Ruby."

Ruby: "If it weren't for Abraham Lincoln, you wouldn't even be allow to live with us."

Ruby has been learning about the Civil Rights movement in school, and it's interesting to see her apply her new knowledge.

For example, she was sitting on the heater vent one cold morning a few weeks ago. Owen wanted a turn and since she had been sitting on it for most of the before school morning routine, it seemed fair that Owen got a shot at it. Plus he was dressed and she was still in her damn PJs.

Me: "Ruby, get up, Owen gets a now, okay?"

Ruby shakes her head with big soulful eyes.

Me: "C'mon, Ru."

Ruby: "I shall not be moved."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm about 3 years behind you in that discussion. I wonder what the Scarborough Maine public school system will teach in regards to Civil Rights...we did after all favor Obama in the primaries...

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

That's kind of adorable. It takes a kid to interpret history so well.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an entertaining blog! I found you on LibraryThing. Will bookmark you...

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home